Cloud Customer Architecture for API Management
This paper provides an introduction to API Management and describes the architecture elements of an effective API Management platform. The architectural capabilities described in this document are used to instantiate an API runtime and management environment using private, public or hybrid cloud deployment models.
An Application Programming Interface (API) exposes defined business assets, data, or services for public consumption. An API is a way for services and products to communicate with each other through a documented interface. APIs allow companies to open up data and services to external third party developers, to business partners, and to internal departments within their company to create innovative channel applications that drive digital transformation. An effective API management platform provides a layer of controlled and secure self-service access to core business assets for reuse.
Cloud Customer Architecture for API Management describes:
- The value proposition of adopting a long term API strategy and embarking on the enterprise digital transformation journey
- The principles and characteristics of selecting a solid API Management Platform
- The comprehensive lifecycle approach to creating, running, managing and securing APIs
- The multiple personas and stakeholders in API Management and their use cases
- The architectural components and capabilities that make up a superior API Management Platform
- Runtime characteristics and deployment considerations